Thursday, November 4, 2010

Connection: Two Stories in One

When one opens a book, they expect to read one story. One story on war. One story on love. One story on history. One story on philosophy.
A story on philosophy is exactly what the novel Sophie's World is about. Philosophy. The history of philosophy. The beliefs of philosophy. The greatest philosphers. However, Sophie's World is not one story; it is two.
In this novel there is one story going on that tells of the history of philosophy, what philosophy is, the greatest philosophers, and how to be a philosphical person. In addition, there is another story going on about a young girl named Sophie. Sophie is receiving these letters, which is how the story about Sophie is connected to the story of philosophy.
This isn't the only novel we've read that has portrayed two stories in one. In fact, the novel Shadow Catcher also did this. There was one story going on about Curtis and Edward, which would compare to the story going on about the history and definition of philosophy. On the other hand, there was this story going on about Marianne Wiggins, and this would compare to the story about Sophie.
An outside connection that I made about telling two stories in one is the movie The Godfather II. In this production, they tell the history of the Godfather, and they also tell a present story. However, they tie these two stories together because eventually Michael, the Godfather's son, goes back to where the Godfather grew up and killed the mophia person that killed everyone in the Godfather's family. This connects to Sophie's World because it has a story about Sophie living in the present, and it also has a story about the history of philosophy. They are both tied toghether, just how these two stories are tied together in The Godfather.
This idea of having telling two stories in one is connected to my life, and it matters to me. I feel like I am two people in one. I am constantly part of two different stories. I feel like I'm living two different lives.
One life is me as the Glenbrook South student, who dresses in simple cothing, plays trombone, and participates in model united nations.
My other life is me as an adventurist, who canoes, backpacks, wears bohemian style clothing, plays country music on guitar, and has a motive to make a difference somewhere in the world.
It is as if I have two different stories, just as the Shadow Catcher and Sophie's World do, but these two stories intertwine. They feed off of each other, just as these two stories did in Shadow Catcher. Events, objects, people, and places connect these two different stories, and for me they connect the two different lives I feel I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment