Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Carry it Forward: Sophie's World

While reading Sophie's World, many intriguing ideas have been presented by numerous philosophers. However, the idea of reason is one that I find extremely interesting and important. We talked a little bit about it in class, and I think it pertains to everyone's life. Descartes presented the idea that "only reason can give us certainty (234)." He presented the idea that you should base your decisions and choices off of reason, logic, and common sense.
I find reason very valuable in any decision or choice you have to make. Without reason, making a choice is like a blind person trying to pick their favorite color. I think reason has value and weight in my life every day. For I have yet to go a day when I haven't made a choice and haven't used reason to help me make that choice.
I use reason to decide logically if I should go out with my friends and have fun or do an english assignment. I use reason in making even more important decisions like should I wear a seat belt when driving. This is a question I face every day, and it is with my reason that I decide, yes.
It is also my reason that has shaped my religious views. I'm an atheist because I don't understand how it logically could be possible that there is God or someone controlling us. When I used my reason to decide if there was a higher power, I came to the conclusion there wasn't.
In class we talked about how reason can help you make the decision of taking part in drugs and alcohol. Luckily, my reason and logic has helped me decide that I do not want to.
I see myself using reason in making a very important decision, which college I will attend next year. I also see myself using reason to decide my career path, my political views, and my friends.
I really value reason because it helps shape my opinions, beliefs, and character. I will continue to use reason in my decision making from everything from what I will eat for lunch, to where I will live when I'm older.In fact, a lot of the time I feel I take reason for granted because I unconsciously use it. Reflecting on reason, I realize I use it in every decision I make. I am very plased that I use reason and logic in making decisions that are shaping my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment