Sunday, October 24, 2010

Best of Week: Born into Brothels

Children being born into prostitution. Children being exposed to alcohol, drugs, and abuse. Children having the opportunity to have a camera. These were among things that Born into Brothels portrayed in such an artistic and beautiful way.
The idea of taking images of drug addicts, prostitutes, and people living in poverty, and showing this to the world in an artistic and beautiful way is really something incredible. It is so much more powerful when something sad and depressing is conveyed through art, like Born into the Brothels did. It showed people who are born into being a prostitute.
What I observed to be the most meaningful this week though is how there is always a way to help and make a difference in the world. In this film, these two people gave children cameras and made an attempt to educate them. They brought them happiness, and they made a meaningful mark on these childrens' lives. I think the best idea is educating and helping others who aren't born with all the opportunities we are.
When I think about how these two people made a difference in these childrens' lives in the Red Light District, it makes me think about how I can make a difference in the world.
I would like to be a teacher that travels the world to impoverished areas to help educate the children. Education really is the core to helping to eliminate poverty. So after watching Born into Brothels, it increased my desire to travel around the world and help educate children and increase the quality of their lives.
What the two people did in Born into Brothels is something I have always inspired to do. Go to a different place and make a difference. I believe from the bottom of my heart that education is a gift, and that everyone should have the opportunity to receive it. I also believe that being born into poverty and prostitution and not having an opportunity to get out of it is heart wrenching. I would like to do something like these two people did in some way, shape, or form. I believe that with knowledge and skills, some of these children can get out of the depressing world they are living in, and I inspire to be one of the people that helps them.

No comments:

Post a Comment