Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Change of Mind: Creative Designers

While watching a movie on creative designers today, I saw something I really admired. I thought it was really neat that these professional, highly educated designers are analyzing themselves in a way that they know exactly what their strengths and weaknesses are. While working as a team to redesign a grocery cart, these designers analyzed themselves very constructively, admitting that they are very talented engineers and designers, but that they know absolutely nothing about grocery carts. I thought it was fascinating that they were able to realize what their weaknesses are and act upon them turning them into their strengths. They immediately went to multiple grocery stores searching for information. It was as if they were dry sponges becoming soaked with knowledge about grocery carts.
Before I watched this video, I never thought about going out of my way to gather as much information about the subject I know the least. I have analyzed myself more times than I can count, but I have never made it a priority or effort to make my weaknesses my strengths. After seeing how intelligent professionals like the designers can, and do take the subjects they know the least and make them their strengths everyday, it changed my mind. From this point forth, I am going to analyze myself and my knowledge and then make an effort to go out and ask what I don't know. I am going to turn my weaknesses into strengths, just like the designers do everyday. After watching the film, I believe that the only way to increase your intelligence is to learn, ask questions, and turn weaknesses into strengths. Hopefully, one day my strengths will be my weaknesses, for my weaknesses will one day be stronger than my strengths are today. In fact Albert Einstein, an inventor just like the people in this video once said, "Information is knowledge."

No comments:

Post a Comment